Thank You, Mr. Grove

Robert Grove and his wife, Mary Beth Grove, enjoy horseback riding at their farm.

Photo submitted by Mary Beth Grove.

Madalynn Spyker, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Central York School District holds countless individuals that make a difference in students’ lives every day. On a day-to-day basis, Assistant Superintendent Robert Grove, who recently retired Sept. 3, communicates with others in many positions for the schools’ to maintain functionality. Although there is a prominent job description for Assistant Superintendent, Mr. Grove explains the true meaning behind his purpose in this position.

“Going back to my philosophy, it’s about helping everybody achieve what they need to achieve in order to help young people,” said Grove during an interview Aug.  30.    

Not only does his job oversee the curriculum aspect of the district, he exceedingly cares about the students individually and forming relationships with them. He always puts himself second to the students because they are the focal point and their goals matter.

Grove revealed that he “had aspirations, and aspirations lead to opportunities to help more people.”

Robert Grove and his wife, Mary Beth Grove, enjoy horseback riding at their farm. ( Photo submitted by Mary Beth Grove.)

Grove enjoys working with Dr. Michael Snell, Superintendent of CYSD.                      

“[He’s] not only a visionary but Superintendent of the year and a great friend.” He echoed that Dr. Snell has a big heart and is an innovator.

“All in all,” is precisely how Grove stated the similar viewpoint of Snell and himself relating to their job titles. He explained that he understands helping all is important, not picking and choosing who is more important.

Grove described his job as one requiring a group effort, and he works with everyone imaginable, such as social workers, diversity specialists, teachers and principals in order to manage the district; Grove believes that someone in his position often should, “say little, listen more.” He stated that empowering more people and giving knowledge helps people more than an ordinary lecture.

On the other hand, his job can sometimes be disappointing. People in his position can’t change the decisions from the state or on a local level. There is no way of changing that outcome; the best is to adapt.

Grove’s family has drawn him into this field of work himself. Almost everyone in his family has worked in the education field. Mary Beth Grove, his wife, had recently retired as Assistant Superintendent at Spring Grove School District. He had started his career as an elementary teacher at Dallastown and experienced other job titles within schools.

Mr. Grove revealed that he “had aspirations, and aspirations lead to oppurtunites to help more people.”

As of October 2021, he will have spent 13-years as Assistant Superintendent at CYSD.

He hadn’t planned on staying that long, but he felt it was in his best interest to continue to follow his role in serving  CYSD.

“This is a great place and it’s a sense of family,” he admitted.

He has noticed that throughout his time at CYSD, he’s helped achieve the stabilization of mass-customized learning. Those working at the educational center understood that different students required specific needs, whether it’s academic, emotional or social.

Upon retiring, Grove has a secret project outside of spending time at his farm with his wife.  He plans to advocate for the youngest and oldest people in the community. While forming a group of individuals with different talents, he wants to help those in need and communicate with the new group to formulate solutions.

Grove will deeply miss the Central York family, but he knows the district is in good hands. His notable advocacy role at CYSD will not be forgotten.