Ladies pull it all together for homecoming

Bryana Myers, Editor

October 15 hosts the well-awaited homecoming dance at the high school. Swarms of freshmen to seniors anticipate getting ready and going to the dance, but a lot more goes into getting ready than most may realize.

Let’s be honest, homecoming is an event, not just a dance, and is traditionally more difficult for the ladies.  There is so much to worry about. Where they are going for pictures? Dinner? hair appointments, nail appointments, make-up, who’s driving who? and even more. 

“I try and make my appointments the moment the school district puts the homecoming date on the calendar so I know I will have my hair and makeup appointments ready and don’t have to stress about it,” says junior Rubylynn Snyder.

She’s not the only one that has to think this far in advance for this day.

“I made my appointment probably 2-3 months in advance so I could get it at the time I needed,” says junior Nadia McGuire.

Planning ahead makes the difference. Adding some extra wiggle room is another way students can take a weight off their shoulders and off their heels.

“I like being ready earlier so I don’t have to stress about being late or not having enough time to do something,” says McGuire.

Kicking off the day early is a necessity to make sure that everything can be done in a timely manner. Arriving on time for appointments and the dance is critical.

“On homecoming day I try to wake up by 8:30 a.m. to be ready for my hair and makeup appointments,” says Snyder.

For a dance that starts at 6:30 p.m. the day starts much earlier than even a few hours before.

“I wake up around 9:00 a.m. so I have some time to myself. Then I have my hair appointment at 11:00 a.m. and then I’m going back to my house to do my makeup. I have to be ready for my family pictures around 2:00 p.m. and then meet my friends for pictures by 3:00 p.m.,” says McGuire.

A chaotic day like this is prepared for and getting things done early always helps. 

“It’s a good thing to do things early so that you have time to beat traffic. My group is doing pictures earlier than others, but I think we’ll have more time to chill out rather than stress about being late,” adds McGuire.

While the guys are just rolling out of bed around noon to take a quick shower and throw on their best shirts and tie, most of the time, the ladies have been at it for hours.

Junior Rubylynn Snyder gets her hair done for homecoming.
Photo submitted by Rubylynn Snyder.