Why Euphoria has gained sudden popularity

Veronica Langrehr, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Euphoria is a popular teenage TV show airing on HBO Max that consists of two seasons currently and began airing in 2019. The show is currently releasing episodes weekly on Sundays for season two and the season finale is planned to show on Feb. 27, 2022. 

The show handles heavy topics, such as drug abuse and mental health struggles, and combines this with a teenage drama. 

“I think it accurately describes it [drug addiction] because I’ve had family members that struggle with addiction and seeing that perspective is very interesting,” said Central York High School junior Nicholas Markel. 

The series keeps fans interested by illustrating the plot with quality acting.  Euphoria gained millions of fans and over doubled their views with the debut of the second season. From approximately 6 million viewers in season one to approximately 13 million in season two.  Many attribute this surge of popularity to the star of the show, Zendaya, she arguably became one of the most well-known actresses in the United States when she also appeared in “Spider-Man: No Way Home.” She is the youngest woman to win Best Actress in a drama series at the Emmys for her acting performance in the show, representing the talent portrayed in the series.  

“no spoilers but zendaya really gave an incredible performance tonight,” commented Lauren Badillo Milici on Twitter. 

Another reason credited to Euphoria’s popularity is the spread to nearly every social media platform. People can watch scenes of the show and read articles about it across most social media platforms. TikTok, Youtube, Instagram and Twitter have all allowed for people to become hooked on the show. 

Displaying how views for the show have dramatically increased since season one. (Photo from Diesel Labs.)

While Euphoria has gained massive recognition for a multitude of reasons fans are tuning in every week for a new episode and have spread the word of the show across every form of social media. The intricate plot tackles many issues and the portrayal of this story is what attracts millions of viewers.