We deserve to learn the truth

Central students come together to spread diversity

Submitted Photo

Cecilia Carrero, Co-Editor-in-Chief

When you are in school you read a lot of books written by African American and Latin Authors, but the option to read them has been taken away by the Central York school board. The books were banned Nov. 2020. The students found out from a newspaper article that was published Sept. 2021, which was almost a whole year later. Some of the children’s books that were banned included “Not Quite Snow White”, “I Am Enough” and ”Skin like mine”. The book ban left some people speechless,  confused and furious. 

There were a few parents who didn’t mind the ban because they didn’t want their kids to be ashamed of being white. 

“I am okay with the book ban because I do not want my daughter to be ashamed for being white,” said one parent who spoke at a recent board meeting. 

The majority of the parents when they went to look at the books, were really confused on why these books were banned. 

The books were temporarily unbanned Sept 20. No one knows if the books will be permanently unbanned. Ms. Patricia A. Jackson, an English teacher at CYHS, would like the books to be looked through to see if they really belong on that list. 

“…there is supposed to be a curriculum committee… I’m hoping that that curriculum committee comes together to review the books individually, and that their parents, teachers and maybe school board members on that committee look at these books to decide their proper place,” she said.

Some believe the books on the list may reveal hard to swallow truths. 

“School should be a little tough and you should be allowed to have those kinds of dialogues as kids in a controlled and safe situation,” said Jackson. 

The first community protest had about 150 people and the second was about 300. Attending the protests was Olivia Pituch,  a senior at CYHS and the secretary and social media advisor of Panther Anti-Racist Union (PARU). 

When we protested in the mornings, parents would honk their horns or cheer while dropping off their kids. The community and the parents made the protests in front of the ESC possible,“ she said. 

There are a number of people who have reached out to the PARU including the Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro. Edha Gupta, president, and Christina Ellis, vice president,  were invited to the state capital to meet Governor Tom Wolf. They also had a meeting with Senator Bob Casey Jr. The accomplished ladies have had a number of interviews,  received mail and donations from all over the country. 

They even set up a GoFundMe and as of Oct. 19, they have $3,900  in donations

“[The ban began receiving attention] because the students found out through the York Dispatch, news sources were involved and watching the story from day one,” said Pituch.

Edha Gupta is a senior at CYHS and the president of the PARU. 

“The next step is to do what we have tried to accomplish from the beginning. The panther anti racist union will continue its efforts to make Central York School District a more equitable, inclusive and loving environment where marginalized students feel listened to, heard, and feel safe at school.” she said 

Pituch thinks that if you see that there is something going on and you think it is wrong, say something. 

“Your voice matters. Stand up for what’s right and you will be heard. I thought my voice was irrelevant and tiny, but I made a difference and my voice was heard. You can make a difference and be the change. It is our moral obligation to stand up for what is right and to make our diverse community a safe and loving place. BIPOC history is American history. We deserve to learn the truth.“ said Pituch.