Don Dreisbach retiring

One of the most recognizable faces at Central York High School (CYHS) is that of daytime custodian Don Dreisbach. Though few may not know him by name, they certainly  know him by his love for Penn State University and the daily Nittany Lion t-shirts he sports to school day-in and day-out. After 12 years of service to the district, Dreisbach retired Sept. 29 to spend more time with those he loves. 

Dreisbach’s two son’s, Nick (class of 2007) and Tyler (‘09), both have growing families that often required cross-country trips and vacations around school schedules and Penn State football games. 

“Tyler has two [children] and a third on the way,” he said. “[Henry is] due at the end of October.”

In his retirement, Dreisbach hopes to spend more time with his grandkids instead of “just going out for a weeks’ vacation”. He was often tasked with adjusting his own vacation schedule around the availability and schedule to that of his kids’. Retirement provides much more flexibility to that. 

Despite retirement, Dreisbach does look at his time at the district as a pleasant one.

“I enjoyed myself. [It] was a good faculty and staff to work with. I didn’t realize that many people worked in the district when I first got hired,” he said.

Working in the district was a nice change of pace for him too. Before arriving at CYHS, he spent over 20 years working in the telecommunications industry for At&t, Belle Atlantic and Verizon. One item no longer on his mind when he started working at Central York? 

“No more multi-million dollar equipment,” he said. 

With Dreisbach’s retirement, the district is losing more than a day-shift custodiam; they are losing a friend, a reliable coworker and even a yearly Santa Claus.

“Panther Pre-school would like to thank him for cleaning up all of their ‘accidents’ over the years! We thank him for playing Santa, delivering gifts to the children one year, and we wish him all the best,” said Panther Preschool teacher Jen Wagner. 

Dreisbach’s friendliness and energy, support of teachers and students and friendliness won’t be forgotten, either.

“Don was almost always my first hello in the morning. If he happened to be at the other end of the hallway, he would wave with both arms. If he was in the main office, he would always greet me with a cheerful hello, a smile and a joke,” said main office secretary Theresa Cooksey.

Principal Ryan Caufman also expressed his appreciation for Dreisbach’s service to the school.

“Your hard work and dedication to the high school, students and staff were always greatly appreciated, and you will be missed. Enjoy your much deserved retirement,” he said. 

Dreisbach was also a constant figure in helping Central York’s MiniThon run a successful event each Spring.

“[He was] amazing all year long. Knowing we could always count on you that day [during MiniThon) was crucial to the event running smoothly. We will miss you,” said MiniThon advisor and Science teacher Malerie Kelly.

On behalf of the Central York School District family, we all wish you a happy and healthy retirement, many more enjoyable tailgating weekends and plenty of cherished time with your family. Congratulations and thank you for everything you have done for the district!

with Principal Ryan Caufman (Theresa Cooksey)
Don Dreisbach and Maureen Horner (Theresa Cooksey)
Don Dreisbach with Penn State Head Coach James Franklin (Submitted Photo)
”I’ve been wearing the Penn State shirts ever since Joe [Paterno] passed,” said Dreisbach. (Theresa Cooksey)