CYHS continues legacy of beloved teacher

Photo by Veronica Langrehr.

Students are asked to provide teacher recommendations, awards they’ve received, jobs they have worked as well as their essay on how they’ve been a good human.

Veronica Langrehr, Co-Editor-in-Chief

After the passing of beloved teacher Erin Walker, her community established a memorial scholarship in honor of her. The scholarship is open for applications this year and the theme is “be a good human” as Walker always used to say. 

“She always used to say ‘be a good human’ so we decided to base it on that…it will be awarded to two people from now on but maybe more in the future depending on how much we raise,” said earth science teacher and friend of Walker, Malerie Kelly.

The scholarship was awarded to Carter Glassmyer, James Jackson and Kayla Seidenstricker last year as they displayed the qualities and values Walker had. 

Applications will be accepted until April 1, 2023 and the scholarship will be awarded to two students. Each will be  $1,000 and will be paid directly to the colleges. The requirements include the application form, essay, a copy of the students’ transcript and two completed questionnaires from CY staff. Applications and additional information can be picked up in the guidance office.