Central’s king, queen: All you need to know about your royalty

Chikadibia Emeribenini and Geovon Wray win the crown and make history at homecoming football game.

Laila Samphilipo, Editor-in-Chief of The Prowler

On Oct. 11, Central York High School held its annual homecoming football game.

Over the course of the previous two weeks, students had been voting for who they thought should be on court. Then two days before the game, students cast their final votes on two individuals— one boy and one girl— to be crowned homecoming king and queen.

Before kick-off, the entire crowd waited in anticipation as the court walked across the field. There, seniors Chikadibia Emeribenini and Geovon “G” Wray were crowned.

“I enjoyed the positive attention and interactions with my peers. I liked being congratulated and asked to take pictures with them,” said Wray. “I felt honored to be chosen.”

Having been a Central student his entire school career, Wray said that he has always been treated like family by students, faculty and staff.

He went on to thank some of his most impactful teachers— Lisa Hildebrand his “student-mom,” Nikki Dohner, Mary Grow, Rebecca Saylor and Nicole Weisz, saying that he is grateful and blessed to be one of their pupils.

Due to his time at Central, Wray said that he believes that he can do anything he puts his mind to, including pursuing his future plans to attend a technical school and receive his certifications in welding.

Like Wray, Emeribenini also attributes much of her current self to her upbringing at Central.

“I know nothing else or any other school. I can’t imagine going to any other school and I am honestly very glad I don’t. I truly believe that I go to the best school in Pennsylvania,” she said.

After her time in Central, she plans to attend the University of Valley Forge to major in psychology and minor in music. She also intends to make videos about her life and further pursue modeling and acting, citing a significant interest in the entertainment industry.

In aspects that Central hasn’t influenced Emeribenini, her family has.

Having been brought up in America by parents that were born and raised in Nigeria, Emeribenini described her upbringing as “being raised in two different cultures.”

She said that her parents instilled in her a close relationship to both their culture and God.

“They did a good job of that, if I do say so myself,” said Emeribenini.

She also said that she is appreciative for the student body at CYHS for the moment they gave her and her family at the homecoming game.

At the game, Emeribenini and Wray made CYHS history as the first black queen and king duo since the school district’s beginnings in 1952.

“This brought a whole other level of inclusivity and I feel so blessed to be a part of that,” said Emeribenini. “I feel as though me and [Wray’s] win confirmed that it doesn’t matter your race. If you are a genuine person who treats people well then you’re already ‘royalty’ and people will look at you in that way.”

Both Emeribenini and Wray acknowledge the impact that their victories have had on minorities in the community and what this means for future students.

“I feel like the black students and people of color finally felt heard and seen after this past weekend. I truly believe that even [Wray] proved to everyone that anyone could be king because not only is he black, but he is on the spectrum. There is not one thing that can keep you from being a king or queen in your day to day life. You just being you is royalty all by itself,” said Emeribenini.