Super Bowl champion with York County connections

Spencer Brodbeck, Staff Writer

As a strange 2020 NFL season comes to an end, the season finished with a great matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs (14-2) vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers (11-5). Super Bowl 55 had a lot of anticipation especially with Tom Brady not wearing a Patriots uniform this year. The Buccaneers are the first team to ever host a Super Bowl. While the game had just about everyone’s attention, York, Pa. had a little bit more to look forward to with Bruce Arians. Arians graduated from William Penn High School in 1970. Bruce Arians still to this day lives in York.

As the Buccaneers defeated the Chiefs 31-9, they had Patrick Mahomes running for his life. Patrick Mahomes is a high caliber player and is a player that the league respects. The Chiefs high powered offense averaged 29.6 points per game which is 6th best in the NFL. The Buccaneers have a young defense with a lot of athleticism and they showed Patrick Mahomes every ounce of that in their route win in Super Bowl 55. 

“For someone who doesn’t watch as much football, “Issac Lutz said, “I thought the game was very surprising and interesting, especially for someone who doesn’t sit down and watch a lot of football, this game had my attention.”

When it comes to the Super Bowl, everyone is always looking forward to things other than just the game. The main two things would be the halftime show and the commercials. Everyone had high expectations for The Weeknd performing in beautiful Tampa Bay, Fla.While people believed that the halftime show met the expectations, the super Bowl commercials did not. 

“The Super Bowl commercials went for humor. Not all succeeded.” said the Associated Press.

Bruce Arians still has family which lives in Pennsylvania and supports him every step of the way in his career. Bruce Arians currently has three Super Bowl rings. Arians ended up winning two rings in Pittsburgh before coming over to Tampa Bay. While Arians was able to bring back a Lombardi Trophy to York County, there are other local natives that were able to bring back a ring as well. LeSean McCoy is a running back for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and he is from Harrisburg, Pa. The state of Pennsylvania was represented very well throughout the game.

Tom Brady was the 199th selection in the 2000 NFL draft. Most late-round draft picks only last a couple years in the league.Tom Brady has had different plans with his career by winning his 7th Super Bowl at the age of 43. The average NFL retirement age is around 36. Tom Brady won six Super Bowl rings during the New England Patriots dynasty. But this year Tom Brady found a new home in Tampa Bay. Winning a Super Bowl and being the MVP in Tampa Bay in year one is just another stepping stone for Tom Brady to become a Hall of Famer. 

The NFL 2020 season will be a season that nobody will ever forget. First, it began with the players being tested on the daily and using technology to be able to do contact tracing. In the NFL, home field advantage is huge. Having the music at high volume, the crowd jumping up and down and making noise is the full experience. This year stadiums held zero fans. Most stadiums did not allow fans until around the playoffs and max capacity was 20% depending on the city where the team was located due to COVID-19. Super Bowl 55 had 25,000 fans with most of them being healthcare workers and also 30,000 cutouts to fill rooms. In an odd year, the season still ended with the biggest game of the year: the Super Bowl.

Feb 7, 2021; Tampa, FL, USA; Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Bruce Arians celebrates with the Vince Lombardi Trophy after the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LV at Raymond James Stadium.
Mark J. Rebilas -USA TODAY Sports. (Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports)